This 2005 project was dedicated during the town’s pilgrimage celebration and lauded by the town’s African American mayor. Initiated by the town’s tourism director, Jimmie Thomas the eight-sign project was cost shared with prominent members of the town.
Historian Parker Hills researched and wrote the text for layout by Michael Beard. BGES members contributed 50% of the cost of this project. The end result is historically accurate, appropriately laid out and the signs properly placed. Visitors to Holly Springs can now walk the route of Van Dorn’s men as they made their famous December 1862 raid. This is a tour well worth making as the members of the town are very receptive and supportive of visitors.
To see a larger version of any sign, click on the thumbnail image.